by Nick D'Alessandro, posted 2/17/2017
If you’re a small business owner looking to invest in marketing, you’re probably trying to figure out how you can get the best bang for your buck.
There are many different marketing strategies for you to consider and you may find that more than one approach could prove to be effective.
If you need to increase your online presence and drive more visitors to your website, the one strategy every small business should consider adding to their marketing mix is Google Adwords.
What is Google Adwords?
In simple terms, Google Adwords allows you to bid for specific keywords or phrases that you think your target audience would use when searching for a product or service like yours. In essence, you are paying to direct “targeted” traffic into your store.
If someone uses any of your chosen keywords when performing a search, your ad, linked to your website or landing page, will appear in their results.
As the advertiser, you only pay if and when a Google searcher actually clicks on your link.
This is called Pay Per Click (PPC).
Here are 10 benefits of a Google Adwords campaign:
- Helps to generate sales. This will help you gain traction and build momentum for your business.
- Increase the number of leads in your sales funnel. This is advantageous even if someone isn’t ready to buy. Create a CTA (Call to Action) offer to capture your visitor's email address.
- “Search” advertising is more effective than traditional advertising. The reason is that people are actually looking for what you have to offer. This results in higher quality leads.
- It’s easy to target your audience by location, language, and specific keywords that are aligned with your product.
- It makes it simple to measure your ROI. You need to understand your cost as well as the results of your marketing campaign. Connecting Google Analytics with your Adwords campaign makes this very easy.
- Helps you understand the keywords, headlines, and ad copy that your target audience is responding best to. This data can then be used to strengthen your website content and ultimately drive more people to your website.
- Aid in further defining your target audience with Google Analytics. You can do this by analyzing the geographical areas your traffic is coming from and what kind of devices they are using to find you.
- Allows you to control your budget. You can set a budget and suspend or modify it at anytime.
- Helps you to quickly drive traffic to your site. This is in contrast to SEO, which takes time to show measurable results. Google Adwords allows you to analyze data so you can quickly understand how your message and your products are being received!
- Supplies integral data. All of the data that Google Analytics provides for monitoring and analyzing your Adwords campaign can be used to modify and tweak your keywords, headlines, and ad copy to produce optimal ROI!
What YOU can do
While Google Adwords is a valuable tool, you still have important work to do!
After you have paid for that click onto your website, the ball’s in your court!
You need web copy that is compelling.
You have to present your product or service in a way that makes people see the value.
Make them need or want what you’re offering!
Some final thoughts
There are a few things worth thinking through when you’re considering utilizing Google Adwords:
- If you truly want a Google Adwords campaign or any other marketing strategy that drives traffic to your website to pay off, I strongly suggest you invest in a skilled direct response copywriter that can help you maximize conversion.
- Google Adwords is not cheap and it might not work for every business.
- There’s no doubt that Google Adwords can provide a lot of insight into your business. However, in order for it to be financially worth it for you, the average revenue you generate from a new customer has to exceed the cost you paid out to acquire them.
- There’s a learning curve and a lot of tweaking involved in running a successful Adwords campaign. You can find a Google Adwords certified professional on sites like Upwork to help you.
While there are certain scenarios in which Google Adwords may not be the best choice for your business, it’s definitely worth looking into when you consider the ten benefits we’ve shown you here.
You'll certainly learn more about your business and you could reap the rewards of investing in Google Adwords!
Wishing you much success!
About the Author
Nick D’Alessandro is a small business strategist and founder at Trilojeemarketing.com. He is excited to share his 30 years of business experience by helping small business owners grow their business and fulfill their career purpose.